Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dennison breaks pole vault record


Britain's Olympic pole vaulter Kate Dennison has set a new national record of 4.51m at the Memorial Josefa Odlozila meeting in Prague.

The Loughborough athlete's jump beat previous holder Janine Whitlock's 2005 record of 4.47m.

Dennison's recent form suggested a good performance after she set a new British indoor record of 4.46m in February.

"I knew I was in good shape in training and I would have loved to have taken the bar higher," said Dennison.

The new outdoor mark is within the World Championships A qualifying standard. The World Championships take place in Berlin, Germany on 15-23 August.

"Obviously my main focus is on the World Championships. It's great to get the standard out of the way early so I can focus on jumping higher," added Dennison.

"I'll need 4.50m-4.60m to make the final so if I can jump like that before I go that would be great."

No comments:

Post a Comment

MenuTube