Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Johnson returns under new regime


Paralympic swimming gold medallist Liz Johnson has stepped up her preparations for London 2012 by changing her training base from Swansea to Bath.

The 23-year-old is back in training after recovering from a shoulder injury she carried during her victory in the SB6 100m breastroke in Beijing.

"It's a good feeling to be back. I'm feeling tired, but that means I know I'm working hard," said Johnson.

"London is the big picture now. I moved with a view to defending my title."

She added: "I trained at Swansea for six years and for two Paralympic Games. I've come a long way as a swimmer and become a more rounded person during that time.

"I could have stayed in my comfort zone, but I didn't want to go to 2012 as the same person. I need to evolve as a person and as an athlete, and I think Bath is one of the best places to do that.

"It's a new challenge and the coaching is totally different. It's a great environment and everywhere you look there are decent sportspeople."

No comments:

Post a Comment

MenuTube