Monday, June 29, 2009

Murray targets quarter-final spot

WIMBLEDON
Date: 22 June - 5 July
Coverage: BBC One, BBC Two, BBC HD, Red Button, website streaming (UK only) and text commentary, 5 Live, 5 Live Sports Extra, BBC iPlayer


Andy Murray
Murray has been in superb form in the first week at SW19

World number three Andy Murray says he is ready to raise his performance level another notch as he heads into the second week at Wimbledon.

After an easy win over Viktor Troicki, he faces Stanislas Wawrinka in the last 16 on Monday - third on Centre Court.

"I think I'm able to raise my game to the quality of the opponent," he said. "I'll try to do that on Monday.

"The media expectation hasn't troubled me this week. I'd be very surprised if it did next week."

Murray's performances during the first week have only increased hopes that he might become the first British man since 1938 to reach the Wimbledon final.

His route to Sunday's showpiece may have become a little less treacherous with the defeat of 10th seed Fernando Gonzalez, a potential quarter-final opponent, by Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Henman reflects on Murray's Wimbledon progress

However, the 22-year-old maintains he is not looking beyond Monday's encounter with Swiss 19th seed Wawrinka, who he has beaten in four of their seven previous matches.

"Obviously, I'd love to get to the final, but you think about it more three or four months before the tournament," he said.

"I'm concentrating on Stan and trying to get through the next match.

"He's a very solid all-court player. He's got a solid serve, moves well and is good off the baseline. He does everything good. He doesn't have one shot which is a huge weakness."

Ferrero's reward for knocking out Gonzalez in five sets is a meeting with eighth seed Gilles Simon on Monday, when all 16 fourth round matches in the men's and women's draws are played.

Despite Murray's form, Roger Federer remains the title favourite.

The 27-year-old, chasing his sixth title at SW19 and a record 15th Grand Slam crown, faces Robin Soderling on Monday in the first match on Centre Court at 1300 BST.

The pair last met in the French Open final, which Federer won in straight sets to take his record against the Swede to 10-0.

"What stands out to me is that I've beaten him so many times that it gives me an incredible amount of confidence, knowing that if I do play my game well, I should be fine," said Federer.

606: DEBATE
JimmyJJ

"But you never know. That's why I have to be very careful."

If Federer gets past Soderling, awaiting him will be Ivo Karlovic, who has served 102 aces in his three matches so far, or Spain's seventh seed Fernando Verdasco.

Federer's possible semi-final opponent is fourth seed Novak Djokovic, who is up against Israeli surprise package Dudi Sela on Monday.

The Serb has barely merited a mention as a title contender, but he says he is happy for it to stay that way.

"Andy Murray and Roger Federer are in the spotlight, and obviously they deserve to be in that situation because they have been playing great tennis the last six, seven months," he said after cruising past Mardy Fish in the last round.

"But you have to look from the brighter side. I think it's good. It releases the pressure for me."

Venus Williams
Venus had few problems in reaching the fourth round

In the women's draw, Venus Williams will continue her bid for a sixth Wimbledon title when she takes on Ana Ivanovic. They are first on Court One at 1300.

Ivanovic, the former world number one, has shown signs of a resurgence after losing her way over the last year, but Venus will nonetheless be a strong favourite.

"I'm very excited," said former world number one Ivanovic.

"She's a very dangerous opponent, but I think I have a great chance, and I feel very comfortable going in that match. I'm so excited to have opportunity for that challenge."

Venus's sister Serena is up against Daniela Hantuchova - who is looking to reach the quarter-finals for the first time since 2002 - second on Court Two.

"She's such a smooth player," said Serena of her unseeded Slovakian opponent.

"I have to make sure I don't rush myself because she is playing well and I think she's moving well. So I'm going to have to really bring a tough game."

Second on Centre Court, top seed Dinara Safina will meet 2006 champion Amelie Mauresmo in her first fourth-round appearance at Wimbledon.

"She's playing very good. I think she's back in her best shape," said the Russian.

"She likes playing on grass. I mean, she won Wimbledon. So I think it's going to be not an easy match. So I'm looking forward. I just want to focus on myself, play my game."


No comments:

Post a Comment

MenuTube