Sunday, September 13, 2009

Stunning Jeter run upstages Bolt

Carmelita Jeter

Replay - Jeter streaks to 100m win

Carmelita Jeter upstaged Usain Bolt with a stunning run in the women's 100m at the World Athletics Final in Greece.

She posted a time of 10.67 seconds to become the third fastest woman in history behind Florence Griffith-Joyner and Marion Jones.

"I couldn't believe the time. It didn't feel that fast but I will take it," said Jeter, who defeated world champion Shelly-Ann Fraser in the process.

Bolt ended his season with an emphatic 200m victory in 19.68 sec.

Jeter's time - the fifth-fastest ever run - was 0.18 sec behind Griffith-Joyner's world record of 10.49 sec and 0.02 sec behind the quickest time ever run by Jones, who was stripped of her five medals from the 2000 Olympics after admitting using steroids.

I knew I had one more good race in me and I gave it my best

Sprint sensation Usain Bolt

Griffith-Joyner's mark has been considered untouchable but after her display on Sunday Jeter is refusing to rule out the possibility of breaking it in the future.

"It might be touchable now," she said. "I didn't even know I would come out and do that time today but with a little bit more work under my belt I should go a lot faster."

Bolt, who warmed up by playing air guitar while Zorba the Greek played over the public address system, was drawn in lane five.

After a false start by Britain's Marlon Devonish, Bolt surged round the bend before easing down at the finish.

Devonish, who was sixth in 20.85, said: "I'm very pleased to be here. I don't know how he does it, I wish I did!"

Tired Bolt looking forward to break

Bolt himself said: "I knew I had one more good race in me and I gave it my best.

"I'm going back home to celebrate and chill out until training starts again in November.

"I didn't expect this because I'm really tired and the endurance training didn't go too well in the early part of the year, but I'm really happy."

World bronze medallist Jenny Meadows produced Britain's best performance with third place in the women's 800m.

American Sanya Richards struggled round the top bend in the women's 400m, before battling through to win in 49.95 seconds, with British duo Nicola Sanders and Christine Ohuruogu fourth and sixth respectively.

Sanders clocked 51.01 and said: "Coming home I thought 'I've got a bit left' and I went for it so I'm quite pleased, but I definitely want to improve next year."

Ohuruogu ran 51.42 and commented: "It's been very much an up and down year. I lost a lot of momentum with my injury but at least it has taught me about how to manage my injuries."

Britain's Chris Tomlinson was seventh in the long jump, recording 7.85m as Australia's Fabrice Lapierre won the four-jump competition with 8.33.

Usain Bolt

Replay - Bolt wins 200m in Greece

No comments:

Post a Comment

MenuTube