Friday, October 23, 2009

Moyes defends Everton after rout

Everton are thumped in Portugal
Everton remain second in Group I despite their hammering in Portugal

Everton manager David Moyes had nothing but praise for his young team after they were humbled 5-0 at Benfica.

Moyes was missing 11 players for their Uefa Europa League game in Lisbon and said: "It was the best team we had and the players did everything they could.

"Only one of the defence played in their normal position and Seamus Coleman made his debut, but that's what we had, we didn't have any options.

"There were some mistakes for goals, but I've only got praise for them."

The Toffees' injury problems are mounting ahead of Sunday's Premier League match against Bolton, with Leighton Baines suffering a calf problem before the Benfica tie and winger Diniyar Bilyaletdinov finishing the game with a strapping on his thigh.

Moyes added: "We will need to assess Diniyar when we get back as well. I am not sure yet who might be fit for the weekend.

"Maybe if I could have told the fans what sort of team I'd have to put out a couple of days ago some of them wouldn't have travelled, but I couldn't do that.

"The boys came up against some serious players tonight. They are professionals and when you are out there you do your best, so I've praised them, but also they've seen the level they need to get to.

"I'm not sure it was a five-goal game, the scoreline hurts, of course it does."

Everton had won their first two Group I games in the Europa League and sit second in the table behind the Portuguese giants, who they meet again at Goodison Park on 5 November.

"I'm looking forward to playing Benfica again when we've got a couple of players back from injury," stated Moyes.

"It would have been nice to be able to put out my first team and see what might have happened.

"Benfica have a good attitude and showed their attacking qualities in the second half. They capitalised on several mistakes we made in that spell and took their opportunities very well."

No comments:

Post a Comment

MenuTube